White Elephant Wish-List


As the move back to Georgia gets closer (just a matter of days now!), I can't help but get excited about the projects I want to tackle once we're in our own home again. I'm not going to call it a "To-Do" list, because that implies work. Things that you have to do rather than things that you'd like to do. Which is why it's more like a "Wish List" instead. And being that my plans are usually more ambitious than my time and resources, all of it may very well not happen. But it's fun to dream! And just so I don't forget any of the random ideas that pop into my head, I'm going to jot them all down. Since this blog has sort of become a journal for me, it'll be safer here than on some piece of paper that will likely be misplaced in the move. (Story of our lives- "misplaced" family, friends, homes, items, and certainly papers- but praise Jesus that He's always a constant in our lives.)


My White Elephant Wish-List

Note: When you see a task high-lighted yellow, it means it's DONE!

Re-purposing & Re-Organization
-De-clutter our fireplace mantel and built-in shelves in the living room, (which includes taking down all the baby cards- see them?).


-Put up some sort of graphic print or color on the back wall of our built-ins, to make them pop.
-Sand and paint our sofa table that's currently standing in as the TV console and make the dining room its new home (I'm thinking of painting it a shade of yellowish-green. Or chartreuse. That's the one).
-Paint our Italian stone dining table (it's ugly with a capital U). And touch up the scuffs on some of our dining room chairs.
-Bring in an extra desk from the office to use as the next stand-in media console. (I'm starting to think we'll never actually own a real TV stand, but that's okay.)
-Move one of our new white love seats down from the attic room and put it into the office/guest room. Pretty please, Thane and Ted/Bryan (our wonderful neighbors)? (Speaking of the neighbors, we can't wait to get back and be neighborly again! All four of us have new babies- two boys and two girls, one of which I have yet to meet! We're so blessed.)
-De-clutter the living room bookcase.
-Hang our framed photography in a nice arrangement.
-Mix-up the decorative pillows in the living room, using the two new Pier1 beauties I picked up here in KY on clearance.


-Find some cheap- maybe thrift store- candle sconces to (possibly paint) and hang in the spaces on each side of our fireplace (above the built-ins). Or grab the chunky gold ones I have at the ranch during our trip and paint/hang those!
-Find a ceramic "white elephant", or possibly a wooden one that could be painted white, to be a fun piece of decor and a memory-piece that reminds us of our Georgia home over the years. Which reminds me, I need to find a horse before we leave Kentucky for the same purpose. Although maybe we could consider the cattle horns to be our "souvenir" from this state.)


-Pack up the baby's 0-6-sometimes 9 month clothing that no longer fit him.

Art
-Paint a set of graphic fabric-inspired paintings to hang in the dining room.
-Frame some fabric that goes with (or doesn't, who knows) the fabric-inspired paintings. Can you guys guess which fabric I have in mind? (You're probably thinking please, not the deer print again! But yes. The deer print again. As my Grandmother pointed out, this might have stemmed from my childhood love of Bambi.)

-Design, print, and frame graphic bible verses for nursery and kitchen.

Sewing
-Make a new cover for my bible- this time without fabric scraps that were meant for a quilt. (See the current one here).
-Find cloth napkins at a good deal so that we no longer need disposables, and possibly dye them to match our dining room theme. "Green" and pretty! Just like cloth diapers. (Haha, you knew I was going to throw that in there.)
-Sew a dining room table runner and possibly place mats using a neat, graphic fabric.
-Sew (or buy) some bright, fun window valences for the kitchen.

Photos
-Make a photo wall using my many framed but un-hung pictures (which will help to de-clutter the shelves).
-Print some photos to hang. Can you believe that in four and a half months we don't have a single printed photo of the baby?
-Speaking of which- start a photo album with all of Sweet Pea's weekly photos to date, that we'd continue to add to every couple of months as we periodically ordered prints.

-And another thing along that line- make a wedding album. We still don't have one and we've been married four years! (Thane will argue that our book full of 4x6 proofs is our album. I like to argue otherwise, ha!)

Landscaping
-Maybe do a little planting and mulching. We've been inspired by beautiful Big-Wig yards here. (We go on walks through the Colonel's neighborhood most evenings). And I remember hearing a great idea from another military wife once- if you leave your plants in their pots, you can plant them and then pull them right up and take them with you when you move again. (Thanks Sherri! I may have to get more details from you!)

I think that's it! For now at least. I'll keep you updated on what does and (more likely) doesn't get done!

Like it? Share it!



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ...
Philippians 3:20 (NKJV)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...