Liven the Laundry



Hello friends, meet our little laundry room. When we first moved into our home here in Georgia, this little nook was nothing but an empty space. After living in Hawaii on-base housing and being provided a washer and dryer, we wrongly assumed that stateside base housing would provide them as well. It turns out that this is only an overseas privilege, and we'd never owned our own set. So, we reluctantly went out in search of a pair to bring home. Which was both good and bad...bad because we were in no way expecting to make such a large purchase, good because we needed stackable units for the ranch house. (Our laundry room there isn't large enough for side by side units.) So, we swallowed our cheap-ness and invested in these.

And now here they sit! They specialize in Army attire and cloth diapers :)


Function; check. Fun; uncheck. Clearly the space is a little sparse.

In comes this old, single curtain panel that had been sitting in a box in the attic for months. I've seen a few neighbors hang a shower curtain to block the view of their washers and dryers, and it always looks nice. So, here's my version.


I wanted to get the look of a curtain without having to buy one. So, with that in mind, I pulled out this old single curtain panel that I didn't have any other use for (it used to hang over our single half bath window in our Hawaii condo- originally from Ross for about $7. Did I mention that I used to live within walking distance of a Ross? That was a bad idea.)

I originally thought I'd just hang this panel on one side of the washer and dryer in a way that it wouldn't actually close, but would give the look of a could-be-closed curtain. But after doing a little experimenting in Photoshop, it was clear that a panel on each side would look much better.


There were two things working against me; time travel has not yet been invented, and this panel came from Ross. So, even if time travel was an option, chances are I'd never find a matching panel. (Anybody that's been to a Ross knows what I mean.) But since they didn't need to close and I only needed a thin strip for each side, I borrowed a little idea I saw on another great blog and made two out of the one. All it took was a straight cut down the center and a little bit of hemming!


Alright! Moving along to the curtain-hanging supplies; the only item I didn't already have on hand was the pack of safety pins, and they were about $1.50 from Walmart.



Safety pins? Yes. I'll explain in a minute. I was originally going to use little white hooks that I already had, but they were harder to get into the wall than I thought. Nails worked just as well (if not better) for this purpose.


Here's one half of my curtain. See the little safety pins fastened in even increments down the top row where the rod would normally go? Since the fabric is double layered here, the pins are only poking through the back layer and are totally invisible from the front.


Doing things the conventional way=spending money. It's funny how shiesty you can get when you want to avoid doing that. Here's my anti-money-spending solution for hanging these panels; safety-pinning them to the wall via a nail. The safety pins act as a little loop that slips right over the head of the nail.



Before kicking off this little laundry room makeover, I inched the washer over to the right so that we'd have optimum space on the far left hand side. Now there's room for my mini ironing board (from college, the only one I've ever owned) to hang out here. And I imagine that more than just stray socks will find there way here soon.



After "making" this little bit of storage space, I realized it would be hidden by the curtain panel. Bonus! Didn't see that one coming, but I'm glad it did. And here we are with "After Picture #1", featuring this little functional storage space that's totally hidden from view!


And in the following photo, you'll see a few decorative pillows coming out of storage for a second- or maybe third, who's counting?- hoorah.



There are two benefits to being a pillow hoarder. One; there are always a few extras on hand to go in new and exciting places (like laundry room shelves). Two; okay, I only know one. But who says they can't be just as pretty on a shelf as they are on a couch? I've got a couple on the built-ins in the living room and in our master bedroom. At one point I even had one propped up against the mirror on our dresser.

The tan and terracotta rug was also a cheap Ross purchase. It was sitting in our guest room previously, sort of- but not really- complimenting the peacock curtains. Notice the red and white glass bottles? Those are my new detergent containers. See more about that little upgrade here. And for your viewing pleasure, a tassel. These things go back to the Old Testament priesthood. Who knew? (Me I guess, but not till I idly wondered where they came from.)




And I had to get a shot with the frames... I didn't plan it, but it's really nice how this whole space sort of goes together. The earthy, orangey frames and flowers really compliment the striped terracotta curtains and pillows. I suppose that's the benefit of having certain colors that you tend to like. Over the years, you buy things that compliment each other.




It sure does feel good to get use out what I've had sitting in a cardboard box since October. The curtains went up for just $1.50 (the cost of the safety pins, which I needed to get anyway just for general purposes). The only other purchases made for this space where the two glass bottles, at $2.50 a piece. So, for $6.50 this little space is no longer a plain Jane. And don't forget all of the leftover safety pins that I'll get other uses from!



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

P.S. See how to sew simple kitchen curtains (on the cheap!) here, with the start of my "kitschy kitchen" re-do. Updates on this coming soon...

P.S.S. To hang curtains for less (via spray-paint), see this post. To widen your curtains and get more light into a room, see the how-to here.

P.S.S.S. (Ha, last one!)  I wasn't totally crazy when I mentioned tassels being in the bible. Here it is;

"Speak to the children of Israel: Tell them to make tassels on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and to put a blue thread in the tassels of the corners. And you shall have the tassel, that you may look upon it and remember all the commandments of the LORD and do them, and that you may not follow the harlotry to which your own heart and your own eyes are inclined, and that you may remember and do all My commandments, and be holy for your God." {Numbers 15:40}

That's actually really interesting, I didn't realize they were meant as reminders to love and obey God. Okay, all goofing aside, I'm going to try to do this every time I see those pillow tassels. I'm a firm believer in using things for what He originally intended! (Unlike the current use of the rainbow, for instance.) Anyway, there are no doubt a ton of ways I also don't honor God, many of which I probably don't even realize yet. But praise Jesus that I'm a work in progress, by His grace and patience alone!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Like it? Share it!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...